Future-Focused Facilities Bond Vote
Since 2017, the District has been studying the long-range facility needs at all buildings. Task forces composed of community members, parents, and staff identified challenges and explored possible solutions. These projects were presented to the community through three community surveys, all of which showed significant support for investing in future-focused facilities. As a result, the Mankato Area Public Schools (MAPS) School Board unanimously approved moving forward with a bond referendum.
On November 7, voters in our community will decide on two referendum questions to update and improve school facilities for today’s students, staff, community, families, as well as the next generation of learners.
Polls will be open from 7AM to 8PM on November 7, 2023.
Find your polling place.
Early voting is available now. Complete your 2023 Minnesota Absentee Ballot Application.
QUESTION 1 $105 MILLION
SAFETY + SECURITY
- Ensure secure, accessible and welcoming entrances at all District schools.
- Enhance technology infrastructure to improve security and strengthen cybersecurity protection.
EARLY LEARNING ACCESS
- Complete classroom and support space renovations at MAPS Center for Learning for comprehensive birth to preschool programming.
- Expand early learning spaces to include preschool classrooms and birth to school age all-day childcare at Eagle Lake Elementary.
LEARNING + WELLNESS SPACES
- Update and expand academic, fine arts and athletic spaces at Mankato West High School.
- Re-purpose elementary spaces into special education classrooms and student support spaces.
- Convert the decommissioned 1950’s Mankato West High School pool area into multi-purpose, flexible learning spaces for students.
- Build a competition and community use pool at Dakota Meadows Middle School.
If the community supports Question 1, the project could be further expanded through support of Question 2.
QUESTION 2 $15 MILLION
OUTDOOR ACTIVITY SPACES
- Update and expand co-curricular stadiums at Mankato East and West High School for school, youth and community use.
Community Informational Meetings
Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Mankato West High School Auditorium
1351 South Riverfront Drive, Mankato, MN 56001
Thursday, October 5, 2023
Virtual Meeting Link can be found at www.isd77.org/vote2023
Thursday, October 26, 2023
Mankato East High School Auditorium
2600 Hoffman Road, Mankato, MN 56001
- How can I vote?
- What proposed projects are included in the bond?
- What is the cost and tax impact?
- Where can I view the site plan for each specific building?
- Why is MAPS getting into childcare? Shouldn't that be left to the private market?
- Why does the tax impact for Question 1 - $105 million/$10 per month for an average-priced home, seem disproportionate compared to the tax impact of Question 2, which is $15 million/$2.50 per month for an average-priced home?
- What will happen if the bond referendum isn’t passed this year?
- If the referendum passes, what’s next?
- How will the district continuing hosting outdoor athletic events while the stadiums are rebuilt?
Prepared and paid for by Mankato Area Public Schools, 10 Civic Center Plaza, Mankato, MN 56001. This publication is not circulated on behalf of any candidate or ballot question.