Our planetarium is one of nine planetarium facilities in the state. The dome is 40 feet high and 30 feet wide with a Spitz Star 512 Projector and the Uniview Full Dome Theater Uniview System (Funded by Educare, Thin Film Technologies and Dist. 77). We are one of the few high schools in the world to have this system. We have 58 permanent seats in a theater type setting.
We teach many high school classes a year in astronomy and have a field trip for all the K-8 programs in Mankato Area Public Schools. We offer programs for different schools outside of the district, along with other youth groups. To check into these programs see contact information on the right side. Additionally, we present shows for the public during the school year. These shows are put on by the High Schools Planetarium Production Club and are age appropriate for everyone, unless otherwise stated.
HOW DO WE SET UP A VISIT FOR OUR GROUP?
All groups are welcome at our planetarium, but you must make reservations.
- Our hours are 1:00 to 3:00 Monday thru Friday for groups
- We also have the ability to be open from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm Monday thru Friday
- Weekends can be requested from Noon till 8:00 pm
- ISD77 schools are free while all other groups are charged $70.00 per show
- Shows last 45 minutes to 1hr.+ depending on the group and questions they may have
To request a time please call: Marni Moule in the District Office @ 507-387-1868
The MEHS Planetarium Production Club is for high school students that would like to get involved in Planetarium Presentations. This club produces shows for the public and students. While doing all this they learn how a planetarium works.
For more information see Mr. Burgess club advisor and Planetarium Director
Friends of the Planetarium
We have been lucky over the last couple of years to provide upgrades to our facility. We recently put in the uniview system. This is a machine that allows us to show objects in space in real time modes. Combined with other upgrades, we have one of the finest small planetariums in country.
We would like to thank the following for their donations:
Educare, Thin Film Technologies, Carl and Vera Schmidt Foundation and Prairie Ecology Bus Center
Also, our Booster Club who provided funding for a new video camera.
THANK YOU also to those who donate to the donation bucket during our public shows. Your continued support helps us to upgrade our system on an as needed basis.
The District #77 Planetarium offers shows through out the school year to the public. These are put on by students from Mankato East High School who belong to the MEHS Planetarium Production Club. These shows will always look at the night sky and usually will have a current topic or cultural/mythology story.
Most of our shows are free to the public.
**We have limited seating so reservations are required. Without a reservation we will try to get you in but may not be able to. To make reservations call the below contact person. You will need to leave your name, contact number and how many seats you want to reserve. Reservation open on dates posted per event and will NOT be taken earlier!
Public Show Dates
- 10/16/18 - Flat Earth Project -what do we really know? Reservations open 10/15/18
- 11/30/18 - UFO oligist Richard Thieme Written two books and spoken at Def Con. Reservations open 11/19/18
- 12/TBD/18 - The Christmas Star - Come hear the choir and travel through the stars as we attempt to explain theories on the Star of Bethliham - Reservations TBD
- 1/TBD/19 - Black Matter Reservations TBD
- 2/14/19 - Valentines Show for couples. Cost $15 per couple for; dessert, Cider and a Rose. Also provides for Babysitting on site. Show talks about Constellation Love Stories. Reservations open 2/3/19
- TBD/19 - Stories of the constellation Orion and Reasons for the Seasons. Reservations - TBD
All shows are free but you must call for reservations as seating is limited.
Reservation #: 507-387-5671 and ask for Dawn Lange to reserve seats for a planetarium show.
Department of Teaching and Learning
Public Show Reservations
Mankato East High School