Work Based Learning
Mankato Area Public Schools has several layers of work-based learning opportunities for students. From an exploratory job shadow to a multi-year youth apprenticeship, students can apply classroom learning to a work setting.
Job shadow permission form
What is a Job Shadow?
Work Experience is a credit bearing opportunity to develop on-the-job skills in entry-level positions. A minimum of 90 hours is required for credit. Students must also have completed or be enrolled in Career Planning to participate.
Examples of Work Experience opportunities include (but are not limited to):
Hy-Vee, Mankato Islamic Center, Kohls, McDonalds, Culver's, Lucky Lure, Western Specialized, Red Lobster, Herberger's, Habilitative Services, Panera Bread, Jake's Stadium Pizza, Cinemark, Kwik Trip, Kind Heart Daycare, Fun.com, Tires Plus, Wal-Mart, Scheels, and many more.
Career Internships are a semester-long 90 hour (minimum) experience in an area of interest. Many internships require a related course prior to entering the field. This paid or unpaid experience allows students to engage in learning that suits their individual career interests in an authentic work environment. Students meet weekly with the Work-Based Learning Coordinator to work on career (soft) skills and build a portfolio of learning.
Several Youth Apprenticeship opportunities are available within career pathways in Mankato Area Public Schools including:
- Information Technology: Snell Motors
- Business/Accounting: Snell Motors
- Auto Tech: Snell Motors
- Manufacturing: YEAP (see below)
- Engineering: MNDOT Phoenix Program
- Automotive: North Central Utility
A Clear Direction to your FUTURE!
A Youth Apprenticeship is a learning experience like no other!
- Students spend up to 2 years and 900+ hours in a paid work experience while earning credit and industry recognized credentials.
- Students can prepare for a career pathway in manufacturing through hands-on learning with industry mentors and coaches.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE:
- PLTW Intro to Engineering & Design
- Welding & Fabrication I
"Earn While You Learn"
For more information, please view our YEAP Brochure
Photos Courtesy of Limerock Photography
Participating Industry Partners include:
MTU Onsite Energy EI Microcircuits Kato Cable